FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- That's the way the cupcake crumbles: Crumbs Bake Shop on Monday closed down its shops nationwide, including four in Fairfield County, according to Business Insider.
The local Crumbs shops were at these locations:
- Danbury Fair Mall
- 48 W. Putnam Ave., Greenwich
- 1067 High Ridge Road, Stamford
- 40-44 Post Road E., Westport
The Crumbs Bake Shop in New Canaan closed last October, citing low sales.
According to its website, Crumbs Bake Shop had stores in 11 states and the District of Columbia, including more than a dozen in New York City. As of Tuesday morning, the website is not updated with news about the closure.
Crumbs Bake Shop was known for its giant cupcakes costing up to $4.50 each as well as its unique flavors and cake-and-frosting combinations.
But the company had fallen on hard times and may file for bankruptcy, according to the Business Insider. NASDAQ stopped trading its stock on July 1, and its stocks dropped from a high of $14 to 27 cents, Business Insider reported.
Here's a statement from a Crumbs spokeswoman posted by the Wall Street Journal: "Regrettably Crumbs has been forced to cease operations and is immediately attending to the dislocation of its devoted employees while it evaluates its limited remaining options."
- 1 Connecticut Report Finds Missed Opportunities To Help Sandy Hook Shooter
- 2 Wilton Police Make Prostitution Arrests At Danbury Road Spa
- 3 Wilton Woman Brings World-Class Talent To New Piano Showroom
- 4 Mom Says Family Coping After Dad's Arrest In Ridgefield Hot Car Death
- 5 Frigid Wind Chills Will Continue In Wilton