WILTON, Conn. -- The public is invited to learn about Wilton's history with a guided walking tour on Saturday of the Wilton Historical Society’s preserved buildings at Lambert Corner.
The outing is being led by Wilton Historian, author and former first selectman Bob Russell. Participants will meet at the Historical Christmas Barn at 11 a.m. and the tour will run until noon.
Russell, author of author of "Wilton, Connecticut: Three Centuries of People, Places, and Progress," will share stories of the people associated with the buildings.
He also might recount the details from a chapter in his book concerning “the most sensational crime in Wilton’s history, which took place in December 1897." Schoolteacher, David S. Lambert was shot in his home, the Lambert House, according to a release from the historical society.
Attendees will see Lambert House, built around 1726, and eight other buildings moved to the grounds for preservation.
The entire site comprises Wilton’s First Historic District and includes,
- Lambert Cottage
- Kent District School
- Hurlbutt Street Country Store and Post Office
- Wilton Railroad Station
- Davenport Barn
- Cannon Family General Store
- 18th-century Cannon Family Corn Crib
- George Davenport Greek Revival Privy
The buildings at Lambert Corner were moved to the site of the original Lambert homestead, at the intersection of routes 7 and 33, over the past 40 years. Most of the buildings are now used as shops and offices.
The Wilton Historical Society was a pioneer in what is now called adaptive re-use – historic structures which have been updated for contemporary use.
The society has rescued 18 buildings typical of a New England rural community on three campuses in Wilton, all visible from Route 7.
The tour with Russell ends at the Historical Christmas Barn store, where cider and cookies will be served.
Register for this event by e-mail, email@example.com or calling (203) 762-7257.
More information about the Wilton Historical Society can be found on its website.
The Historical Christmas Barn is located at 150 Danbury Road, Wilton.