FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America named the greater Bridgeport area - which covers Fairfield County - as one of the "allergy capitals" of the United States in a new study.
The area was ranked 48th in the nation in a survey that found the average of pollen levels, utilization of allergy medicine and the amount of board certified allergists per 10,000 patients. Based on that information, the metro areas were given a score from 0 to 100.
The greater Bridgeport area was given an allergy score of 67.35. Allergy conditions have improved, however, as the area was ranked 36th in the nation last year.
By comparison, the greater Jackson, Miss., area had the highest allergy score in the nation with a score of 100. According to the study, Jackson is the worst for allergies because of extremely high pollen levels and a lack of utilization of medicine.
The South continues to be one of the worst places for allergies, with 15 of the top 25 "allergy capitals" located in that region, according to the study.
Other Connecticut metro areas also cracked the top 50 "allergy capitals." The greater Hartford area ranked 35th on the list with an allergy score of 71.33, while greater New Haven came in at 38th with an allergy score of 70.84.
Like greater Bridgeport, those two area also saw improvements in allergy scores.
- 1 Forecast Worsens With More Snow Predicted For Wilton
- 2 Wilton Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Wilton With Snow, Ice In Forecast
- 4 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow