WILTON, Conn. -- Former First Selectman and Wilton historian Bob Russell will lead the first of two walking tours of the Wilton Historical Society’s preserved Lambert Corner buildings.
The tour will be Saturday at 11 a.m.
The hourlong guided tour includes the Lambert House, which was built on the site in 1726, and eight other buildings moved there in order to preserve them.
They are the Lambert Cottage, Kent District School, Hurlbutt Street Country Store and Post Office, Wilton Railroad Station, Davenport Barn, Cannon Family General Store, 18th-century Cannon Family Corn Crib and the George Davenport Greek Revival Privy.
The entire site comprises Wilton’s Historic District 1.
In addition, the society recently acquired a 1739 land deed.
As Lambert House was built in1726, David Lambert was expanding his real estate holdings.
The buildings at Lambert Corner were moved to the site of the original Lambert homestead, known as “Lilacstead,” at the intersection of Routes 7 and 33 over the past 40 years.
Most of the buildings are now used as shops and offices.
The Wilton Historical Society was a pioneer in what is now called adaptive reuse – historic structures that have been updated for contemporary use. The society has rescued, in total, 18 buildings typical of a New England rural community on three campuses in Wilton, all visible from Route 7.
Russell, author of "Wilton, Connecticut: Three Centuries of People, Places and Progress," will share some of the stories of the people associated with the buildings.
Tours will end at noon at the Historical Christmas Barn store, 150 Danbury Road, where cider and cookies will be served. Other businesses in the complex will be open.
To register for this event, e-mail email@example.com or call 203-762-7257.
The Wilton Historical Society is at 224 Danbury Road. Visit www.wiltonhistorical.org .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.