NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- A crowd of friends, family, and artists gathered in spring for the opening of the 2015 Student Art Exhibition in the Silvermine Art Galleries.
Beth Livensperger, who teaches painting and drawing at the School of Art + Design at Purchase College, SUNY, acted as juror for the annual event, which includes new work by students who have completed at least one term of study at the Silvermine School of Art. Lori Ann Dunn, Michele Marshall and Cynthia Mullins served as chairpersons for this year’s Silvermine School of Art Exhibition.
The Best in Show Award went to Elaine Leegstra, of Greenwich, for her oil painting titled “Here’s Looking at You.”
In the adult category, first prizes were awarded in the following media:
- Ceramics — Carolyn Judge, of Ridgefield, for “Spring.”
- Collage — Kathleen Booth, of Norwalk, for “Festivities.”
- Digital imaging — Joanne Mason, of Greenwich, for “Trees.”
- Drawing — Lyn Beardsley, of South Salem, N.Y., for “Orchid.”
- Jewelry — Bobbie Liepolt, of Westport, for “Shapes.”
- Mixed media — Melissa Newman, of Westport, for her untitled work.
- Painting — Juliette Jansen, of Darien, for “Downtime in 2014.”
- Photography — Ellen Tsangaris, of Westport, for “Bones.”
- Printmaking — Olga Todhunter, of Cos Cob, for “Badlands.”
- Sculpture — Alessandra Hernandez, of Pound Ridge, N.Y., for “Bathing Beauty.”
The Jerry’s Artarama Awards went to John Serena, of Norwalk, for his oil painting “Jazztree” and to Marion Schneider, of Larchmont, N.Y., for her acrylic painting “Reflections on Park Avenue.”
Four Jean S. Holland Awards were given as follows:
- Jennifer Williams, of Westport, for her watercolor “Will’s St. John."
- Valerie Montague, of Greenwich, for her pastel work “Wetlands 1.”
- Sandy Mills, of Norwalk, for her oil on aluminum work, “Day is Done."
- Carolyn Marble, of Ridgefield, for her acrylic painting, “Transition.”
The following artists took honorable mention in the adult categories:
- Ceramics — Claudia Besen, of Westport.
- Collage — Madlyn Goldman, of Hartsdale, N.Y.
- Digital image — Joyce Grasso, of Stamford.
- Drawing — Frank Bordanaro, of New Canaan.
- Jewelry — Dana McHale, of Greenwich.
- Mixed media — Eva Horowitz, of Westport.
- Painting — Maxwell Wiesen, of Greenwich.
- Photography — Azar Behjati, of Easton.
- Printmaking — Dana Weinberg, of Stamford.
- Sculpture — Evan Hall, of Branford.
In the Youth category (ages 11-17), first prizes were awarded as follows:
- Ceramics — Justin Mossa, of Darien, for “Burgundy River.”
- Collage — Diana Hoffman, of Westport, for “A Different Perspective.”
- Drawing — Olivia Porretta, of Westport, for “Sad Man.”
- Mixed media — Ann Pakhayev, of New Canaan, for “Approaching.”
- Painting — Grayson Kennedy, of New Canaan, for “Man Curly Hair.”
- Photography — Anton Kot, of Milford, for his untitled work.
- Printmaking — Saira Munshani, of Easton, for “My City.”
- Sculpture — Josephine Freedman, of Westport, for “La Ballena.”
The Cynthia Mullins Award in the Youth category went to Catherine Massa, of Redding, for her acrylic painting “Adventurous.”
Honorable mentions in the youth category are:
- Ceramics — Beckett Walters, of New Canaan.
- Collage — Kathleen Politica, of Stratford.
- Mixed media — Matthew Kasper, of Monroe.
- Painting — Jack Geer, of Fairfield.
- Photography — Lily Kempenich, of Easton.
- Printmaking — Alexander Koutsoukos, of Wilton.
- Sculpture — Ryan McElroy, of Wilton.
In the Junior category (ages 5-10), first prizes were awarded as follows:
- Ceramics — Alexa Alexander, of New Canaan, for “Resting Frog.”
- Collage — Amelia Bowman, of Darien, for “Parrot Feather.”
- Drawing — Waverly Walters, of New Canaan, for “Cartoon Cast.”
- Mixed media — Sasha Caplan, of Pound Ridge, N.Y., for “My Imaginings/Self Portrait.”
- Painting — Lukas Koutsoukos, of Wilton, for “Dolphin.”
- Printmaking — Ellie Donahue, of Stamford, for “Flowers on My Table.”
- Sculpture — William Katis, of Bridgeport, for “Square City Round Wreath."
The Cynthia Mullins Award went to Emma Peloso of New Canaan for “Diamond Plate” in stoneware clay.
Honorable mentions in the junior category include:
- Ceramics — Isabella Mouracade, of Wilton.
- Collage — Soraya Breed, of New Canaan.
- Mixed media — Lucas Breed, of New Canaan.
- Painting — Juliet Jannes, of Weston.
- Cculpture — Ilse Fedoronko, of Darien.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.