WILTON, Conn. - The Wilton Family Y is hosting a free community event designed to inspire kids to keep their minds and bodies active with an afternoon of activities and information on staying healthy on Saturday, April 26, from noon to 3 p.m.
Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids can fall behind academically and gain weight twice as fast during the summer. "It’s important to help families develop healthy habits,” said Kim Murphy, Y Director of Childcare and Camp.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies: Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Onging Passion for Books: Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events: Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together: Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example: Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
The Y’s Healthy Kids Day is sponsored by Wilton Magazine with healthy snacks provided by Bistro 7.
For more information about the Wilton Y’s Healthy Kids Day, contact Kim Murphy 762-8384 Ext. 214 or Renee Malyszka 762-8384 Ext. 277.
To learn more about Y membership and programs to help your family stay healthy contact Y Membership Director Michelle Wishna at 762-8384 Ext. 222, email@example.com or online at www.wiltonymca.org.
- 1 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Wilton
- 2 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Wilton
- 4 Snow Could Be Returning To Wilton Tuesday
- 5 Wilton Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm