NEWTOWN, Conn. — The death of a 52-year-old Sandy Hook man after a boat collision Tuesday night on Lake Zoar marked the sixth fatality on the water in Connecticut this year.
Randall Pineau was operating a pontoon boat on the lake when it was hit by a ski boat at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, said Dennis Schain, communications director for DEEP.
Pineau was taken to Danbury Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Here are details on the other five fatal accidents in Connecticut on the water this year:
- Lyle Dagenais, 31 of Uncasville, went missing Feb. 20 on the Thames River in Ledyard. He went out on kayak on Feb. 19. His kayak was found later that day. He was reported missing Feb. 20. His body was recovered on March 21.
- On April 16, Richard Melucci, 43, of Mount Sinai, N.Y., fell off a power boat in Long Island Sound off Milford. His body was recovered that same evening.
- On May 12, the Wethersfield Fire Department responded to a report of an overturned canoe in Wethersfield Cove. Sandro Louro, 47, of Hartford. was found deceased the same day.
- On June 24, a good Samaritan saw an unoccupied sailboard in the waters of Long Island Sound near Branford. The boater then found the body of Steve Young, 50, of Branford.
- On June 24, Jose Diaz, 51, of Harrison, N.Y., fell off the back of underway vessel in Stamford Harbor. His body was recovered that same evening.
The U.S. Coast Guard reminds all boaters to be responsible. Click here for a list of guidelines for recreational boaters.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.