FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Do you feel like you wait forever at the Department of Motor Vehicles? A recent study conducted by DMV.com found that residents of Fairfield County and throughout Connecticut spend 20 more minutes waiting at the DMV than the national average.
In fact, the 53.4-minute average wait time is the third longest in the country behind only West Virginia and California.
Wait times in neighboring states tend to be much shorter. Massachusetts residents wait an average of 10 fewer minutes, while New Yorkers spend an average of 20 fewer minutes at the DMV, according to the report.
The report blames a number of issues for the long wait times, including bad weather that results in closures and road test cancellations as well as the elimination of 151 positions at the state DMV due to budget cuts in 2011.
Another possible culprit for slow-moving DMV lines could be the state's REAL ID program that requires residents to show present proof of immigration status and proof of residence in order to obtain a secure license, DMV.com said.
Locally, the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles has full-service offices in Norwalk, Danbury and Bridgeport.
- 1 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Wilton Man Arrested After Shoving Girlfriend While Decorating Tree
- 3 Probability Of A White Christmas Is Low In Wilton
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Wilton
- 5 Wilton Running Club Girl Takes 5th In National Cross Country Race