WILTON, Conn., -- Wilton voters have the town’s spending plan in their hands as they vote over two separate days this week on the town’s $120,463,363 budget.
The first round of voting will be in the evening on Tuesday, May 6.
First Selectman Bill Brennan said the overall budget compares favorably to other towns in the area. He also proudly spoke of the low mill rate increase.
“The mill rate increase is 2 percent, which is very reasonable considering that it is lower than the rate of inflation,” he said.
The projected mill rate is 26.5179. That means a property owner pays $26.5179 per very $1,000 of assessed value.
The first chance for voters to cast ballots is after the town meeting set for Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Middlebrook School cafeteria.
The second vote is from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Voting will be held in the Clune Center lobby at Wilton High School.
Absentee ballots are available at the town clerk’s office from Wednesday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and must be returned no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
The total Board of Selectmen budget comes in at $31,766,767, a 2.65 percent increase over 2013-14, while the Board of Education budget rises 2.97 percent to $78,401,125.
Rounding out the budget is $9.1 million for debt service and $1.1 million for charter authority.
Voters also will consider five bonding projects, including:
- $9.9 million for planning and renovation of the Comstock Community Center,
- $3.4 million for roadwork,
- $595,000 for a new fire truck,
- $500,000 for the installation of a new districtwide school security system; and
- $250,000 for improvements at the White House at Ambler Farm.
More details on the budget and a sample ballot can be found on the town of Wilton's website.
- 1 Wilton Ranks Among State's Best Suburbs To Live In
- 2 Court: Dad Charged In Norwalk Baby's Death Spiked Bottle With Alcohol
- 3 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 4 Tarrytown's Happy Rockefeller, Wife Of Late Nelson Rockefeller, Dies
- 5 Population Grows In Wilton, All Of Fairfield County