WILTON, Conn. -- A Wilton group is cautioning residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Connecticut Alarm & Systems Integrators Association wants residents to know that lethal amounts of carbon monoxide could come from faulty furnaces, fireplaces, space heaters and other fuel-burning devices.
"These products are designed to function safely and only release a harmless amount of CO into the air, but improper use, damage or faulty construction can cause them to produce high levels of the toxic gas, which can be lethal," CASIA representatives said.
CASIA released the following list of recommended tips for residents to use to protect themselves from carbon monoxide dangers:
- First, install CO detectors in your home to alert you of unsafe gas levels. A trusted alarm company will be able to recommend appropriate detectors for your home and determine the best place to put them. You can find an alarm company that is a member of CASIA visiting http://www.casiact.org
- The life span of a detector can range anywhere from five to seven years, so check the manual and replace detectors accordingly. Additionally, many wireless detectors utilize lithium batteries, which typically last between two to five years and then need replacing. Proper maintenance of the detectors in your home help ensures their reliability.
- Make sure everyone in your home knows what the detector sounds like. Develop an escape plan to ensure your family will be able to safely exit your home during an emergency situation and practice your plan as a family once a month.
- It’s also important to use household appliances safely. To avoid a carbon monoxide leak, have your heating system, water heater and other fuel-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. Only use your appliances in the way they are meant to be used, and never used damaged appliances.
- Carbon monoxide is a danger that is impossible to detect on your own. Enlist a security company to install a CO detector and use these tips to keep your family safe and sound.