Contact Us
Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT

Menu

Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Wilton Fire Chief Urges Residents To Check Homes For Dangers After 2 Blazes

Wilton Fire Chief Ron Kanterman wants to help residents prevent house fires by offering some safety tips.
Wilton Fire Chief Ron Kanterman wants to help residents prevent house fires by offering some safety tips. Photo Credit: LinkedIn

WILTON, Conn. — With two house fires in the past 10 days, Wilton Fire Chief Ronald Kanterman is urging residents to check their homes for dangers and to know what to do to prevent a fire in the first place.

According to Kanterman, both of the house fires have been deemed accidental in nature by fire investigators, meaning they were not set intentionally nor was arson a factor.

"This brings us to the fact that the people of Wilton are doing things or not doing things that are contributing to these incidents," he said.

Kanterman would like residents to take a few minutes, get the kids involved, make it a family activity and take a good look around your house for the following conditions that may contribute to a fire:

Electrical systems:

  • Do not overload outlets with multiple four-, five- and six-way plug receptacles.
  • Do not put wires under rugs.
  • Do not daisy-chain outlet strips and make sure they have a circuit breaker on them.
  • Do not use extension cords on a permanent basis for appliances. These should be plugged directly into an outlet.

 Heating :

  • Keep at least three feet of distance between any portable heater, blower or permanent heating system vent to combustible materials, e.g. bedding, stacks of papers or magazines, tablecloths, drapes and the wood pile.
  • Check older heating systems especially built-in wall units, etc. Wiring gets old, permanent heating system vent to combustible materials, e.g. bedding, stacks of papers or magazines, table cloths, drapes and the wood pile. dries out and then may catch fire.
  • Never leave fire places, wood-burning stove or other heating items unattended.

"We have a lot of older homes in town so electrical maintenance is key to preventing a home fire," Kanterman said.

Cooking: (the leading cause of home fires in the nation)

  • Never leave the stove unattended while cooking.
  • Watch the temperature of cooking oils especially when deep frying.
  • Never use water on a grease fire. Simply cover the pot or pan.
Hazardous Materials:
  • Never store flammable or combustible liquids or portable propane tanks inside your home.
  • Get rid of old or non-usable materials through proper disposal methods.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Wilton Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.