NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- World Cup fever may be growing across the United States as the home team moves to the next round, but New Canaan native Ann Coulter is blasting soccer as un-American.
In a piece called "America's Favorite National Pastime: Hating Soccer," Coulter links the rise in the popularity of soccer in the U.S. to U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy's 1965 changes in immigration law and said, "Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay."
She attacks the sport for everything from its lack of scoring, coed children's leagues and rules banning the use of hands.
"No other 'sport' ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer," she wrote. "If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored."
She also complains the sport is "foreign" and compares it to the metric system.
Her column is drawing reaction from across the Internet, especially on Twitter. Here are a few comments:
- "Ann Coulter meets a new low. I have no words. Probably the worst column I've read. And I don't even like soccer," Alexander Hallberg said via @wingate32
- "The biggest fail of Ann Coulter's presumably mock-Xenophobic and tongue-in-cheek-ignorant anti-soccer rant is that it wasn't actually funny," Jim Piddock said via @realjimpiddock .
- "Hate to give it more attention because that was the whole purpose of the article, but Ann Coulter's piece on soccer was truly truly awful," Alex Eaton said @EatonGood.
- Alex Kantrowitz @Kantrowitz called it "Ann Coulter self-parody."
- "Hilarious anti-soccer anti-immigration op-ed from @AnnCoulter that reads like an Onion piece," Kris Nielsen said @KrisNielsenKC.
But some came to her defense:
- "The fact that people are mad about @AnnCoulter's clearly funny take on soccer is a sign of America's moral decay," Steven Crowder said @scrowder.
Ann Coulter is a 1980 graduate of New Canaan High School who writes a regular column.
Read Coulter's full column about World Cup soccer here at her official website.
What do you think of Ann Coulter's column? Leave your comments below.
- 1 Wilton Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 2 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Wilton
- 3 Snow Could Be Returning To Wilton Tuesday
- 4 15 With Ties To Fairfield County Make Forbes List Of Billionaires
- 5 Disabled Vehicle Cleared From Snow-Covered Merritt Parkway In New Canaan