FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Fairfield County fans of UConn basketball have a special reason to celebrate this year. For the fourth time, the men's and women's teams have reached the Final Four in the NCAA tournaments in the same year.
The University of Connecticut is the only school to accomplish this feat more than once.
In 2004, UConn went a step further, as the only school to win both the men’s and women’s national titles in the same year. The men's and women's teams have appeared in a combined 20 Final Fours since 1991 as the Huskies began to make their mark on the national basketball scene.
Both teams play this weekend. Winners advance to the finals!
- The men's game is at 6:10 p.m. Saturday on TBS as UConn takes on No. 1 Florida.
- The women's game is at 8:30 p.m. Sunday on ESPN as UConn takes on No. 2 Stanford.
But do you root for both teams? Are you fan enough to watch both the men's and women's tournaments? Or can you not wait for the games to begin?
According to the Hartford Courant, an analysis of Twitter fans shows that the fan bases of the teams might not overlap much.
More than 75 percent of the people who follow @UConnMBB (the official Twitter handle for the men's hoops team) don't follow @UConnWBB (the women's official handle), and 71 percent of the people who follow @UConnWBB don't bother with the men, the Courant said.
Read more about the Courant's analysis of UConn fandom here.
- 1 Owner Of Danbury Pet Shop Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Wilton Wahoos Send 36 Swimmers To YMCA Nationals
- 3 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care
- 4 Bridgeport Man Charged In Weston Home Invasion, Assault Of Woman
- 5 Wilton Girl Scout Earns Gold Award For Animal Adoption Project