WILTON, Conn. -- Westport’s Verity Abel, swimming for the Wilton Wahoos, won the 400 individual medley Wednesday at the YMCA National Long Course Championships in Indianapolis.
Abel, a Staples High graduate who will attend Duke University, won the race in 4:56.69, nearly a second ahead of Julie Lajoie of Massachusetts.
Abel’s victory follows the victory by Norwalk’s Ky-lee Perry, who won the 50-meter freestyle for the Wahoos on Tuesday. In other races at the national meet, Abel finished second in the 1,500 free and third in the 400 free and was on the Wahoos’ 200 free relay team, which finished third.
In the Men’s 400 IM, the Wahoos’ Max Dolan took second, and Sam DeLise took fifth.
Alyssa Storino took sixth in the 50-meter breaststroke on Wednesday for the Wahoos, and Tommy Kealy was sixth in the 200 free.
The Wahoos finished fifth in the women's 400 medley relay with Perry, Abel, Storino and Samantha Cheruk. The men's team finished third in the same race with Ed Stolarski, Dolan, Kealy and Hugo Sykes.
The meet continues through Friday.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Contractor, Worker Charged In Dispute Over Building Materials In Wilton
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 Wilton Could See New Round Of Thunderstorms