WILTON, Conn. – Two runners from the Wilton Running Club earned the right to compete in the Junior Olympic Cross Country national championships with strong races in Saturday’s regional competition at Eisenhower Park on Long Island.
Angela Saidman finished second in the division for Midget Girls, who were born in 2000 and 2001. Aaron Breene finished seventh in the Youth Boys for runners born in 1998 and 1999.
In all, seven Wilton runners competed, and each ran personal bests.
“They peaked at just the right time,’’ said Mary Zengo, the club’s distance running coach. “I couldn’t be more proud of them.”
Saidman ran the 3-kilometer course in 10:17. Breene ran 13:51 for the 4K course to qualify for nationals for the second straight year.
Emily Welch finished 47th in the Midget Girls race, while Susie Martin was 47th in the Youth Girls race. Among the boys, Flynn Crowther was 73rd in the Midget Boys, Ben Ruffing was 27th in the Youth Boys and Owen Callahan was 83rd in the Youth Boys.
The Junior Olympic nationals will be run Dec. 8 in Albuquerque, N.M.
- 1 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 2 Wilton, Celebrate Memorial Day With Local Parades
- 3 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 4 Updated Memorial Day Forecast Brings Good News For Fairfield
- 5 4 Teen Girls Arrested, 1 Sent To Hospital After Fight At Norwalk Beach