WILTON, Conn. The following is a letter from Wilton Fire Chief Paul Milositz and Fire Marshal David Kohn.
We want to set the record straight on the circumstances involving a serious burn injury to a Wilton youth on July 10. It was initially erroneously reported that the victim in this unfortunate circumstance was injured while pouring a flammable liquid on a smoldering fire causing a significant burn injury to himself. Upon further investigation and interviews of witnesses and responding emergency service providers, it has been determined the boys injuries were not caused by his own actions.
In fact, the victim took appropriate measures to save himself by performing the stop, drop and roll method to extinguish the flames. This is a basic life-saving first aid measure that firefighters teach to children in their early years during visits to schools and visits to the fire stations. We are thankful he was able to keep his wits in this horrible accident and respond with the appropriate reaction.
We regret any inconvenience to the victim and his family by this error on our part. We strive to provide the most accurate accounting of events for the publics interest. We also want to extend our thoughts and prayers to the victim for a swift recovery and getting his life back to normal soon.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.