Danbury firefighters responded to an early morning kitchen fire that caused extensive damage before it was extinguished by the homeowner.
The fire started around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at a home on Woodbury Lane, said the department's Communications Director James Gagliardo.
Upon arrival, firefighters found the fire was extinguished by the homeowner using a garden hose but the home and kitchen had suffered extensive damage from the cooking fire, Gagliardo said.
“The homeowner was very lucky that he was able to extinguish the fire with a small hose and using a towel to cover his face, but judging from the damage he was very lucky he did not suffer more than mild smoke inhalation," said Deputy Chief Williams.
Although the homeowner was able to extinguish the fire and keep the damage to a minimum this is a dangerous action that is not recommended by fire safety experts, the department said.
The homeowner was transported by Danbury Hospital EMS to Danbury Hospital for minor smoke inhalation.
The Danbury Fire Marshal’s Office was requested to the scene and the actual cause of the fire is still to be determined.
Assisting at the scene were Engine 23, Engine 24, Truck 1, Rescue 1, and C30.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.