WILTON, Conn. A Wilton man suffered second- and third-degree burns Tuesday night using alcohol to light a fire pit at a Nod Hill Road home.
Wilton Fire Marshal David Kohn said the 19-year-old was using denatured alcohol to light a smoldering fire pit on a porch and likely was burned when the vapors of the liquid ignited.
Most people dont realize its the vapors that ignite first, Kohn said.
Kohn said several people were on the patio and wanted to have a fire for the evening. Kohn said burn victim was a guest at the home.
He was taken to Bridgeport Hospital for burns to his arms, torso and legs. Kohn did not identify the victim, citing medical privacy rules. The fire marshal did not know the mans condition.
I just hope that the patient recovers and theres no serious damage, he said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.