WILTON, Conn. -- With an average of 3,200 fire occurring annually in campus housing, the Wilton Fire Department is offering safety tips for new and returning college students and their families.
Be Prepared for a Fire
- Learn your building's evacuation plan and take fire drills seriously.
- If you hear an alarm, leave immediately and close doors behind you as you go. Take room keys in case you can't escape and have to return to your room.
- If you have a disability, make sure you are included in the escape planning for your classroom area and housing.
- Learn the location of all building exits.
- Make sure your building has smoke alarms and don't disable them or remove batteries.
- The best protection is a building with fire sprinklers. Don't be afraid to ask when making housing choices.
- Don't hang anything from fire sprinkler pipes or nozzles.
- Keep a flashlight handy.
- If you have to escape through smoke, stay low under the smoke.
- Before opening a door, feel the door with the back of your hand. If it's hot, use your second way out.
- Use the stairs; never use an elevator during a fire.
- If you're trapped, call the fire department and tell them where you are. Seal your door with wet rags or towels and signal from your window.
- Only smoke outside and only where it's permitted.
- Use deep, wide, ashtrays set on something that is sturdy and hard to ignite.
- It's risky to smoke when you've been drinking or when you're drowsy.
- Don't smoke in bed.
- Soak cigarettes before you empty ashtrays.
- Assign a party safety officer who will not drink
- After the party, they should check furniture and cushions for smoldering butts.
- Don't use them.
- Check your school's rules before using electrical appliances in your room.
- Don't pinch cords against walls or furniture or run them under carpets. Never tack or nail cords.
- Don't overload your wiring.
- Extension cords are for temporary use only and should be unplugged when not in use.
- Buy only appliances that have the label of an independent testing lab (i.e. UL, FM)
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture. Place lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn.
For more safety tips and other useful information, call the Wilton Fire Department at 203-834-6249
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.