NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan’s Curt Casali was called up by the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday, and the catcher will make his debut in a major league uniform Friday on the road against Minnesota.
Casali, 25, got the promotion after Tampa Bay's starting catcher Ryan Harrigan was placed on the disabled list. Casali will be the backup catcher to veteran Jose Molina.
Casali, a former star at Vanderbilt, has played at Double A Montgomery and Triple A Durham this year. He hit .314 in 22 games at Montgomery and .237 in 46 games at Durham.
Casali was drafted by Detroit in the 10th round of the 2011 Draft. He was acquired by Tampa Bay last year.
- 1 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 2 Man Caught After Assault On Trooper Leads To Chase That Ends On Route 7
- 3 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 4 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Wilton
- 5 Wilton Police Department Promotes Woman To Detective In Historic First