NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan’s Curt Casali was called up by the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday, and the catcher will make his debut in a major league uniform Friday on the road against Minnesota.
Casali, 25, got the promotion after Tampa Bay's starting catcher Ryan Harrigan was placed on the disabled list. Casali will be the backup catcher to veteran Jose Molina.
Casali, a former star at Vanderbilt, has played at Double A Montgomery and Triple A Durham this year. He hit .314 in 22 games at Montgomery and .237 in 46 games at Durham.
Casali was drafted by Detroit in the 10th round of the 2011 Draft. He was acquired by Tampa Bay last year.
- 1 Supreme Court: No Immunity For Wilton Police In Fatal Raid On Easton Home
- 2 Wilton Man Charged After Wandering In Stamford Home, Looking To Use Shower
- 3 Two Sons Injured Trying To Save Elderly Mother From Ridgefield Condo Fire
- 4 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Wilton
- 5 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed