NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan’s Curt Casali was called up by the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday, and the catcher will make his debut in a major league uniform Friday on the road against Minnesota.
Casali, 25, got the promotion after Tampa Bay's starting catcher Ryan Harrigan was placed on the disabled list. Casali will be the backup catcher to veteran Jose Molina.
Casali, a former star at Vanderbilt, has played at Double A Montgomery and Triple A Durham this year. He hit .314 in 22 games at Montgomery and .237 in 46 games at Durham.
Casali was drafted by Detroit in the 10th round of the 2011 Draft. He was acquired by Tampa Bay last year.
- 1 Wilton Voters Narrowly Approve $50M Project For Miller-Driscoll School
- 2 9 Billionaires In Connecticut Make The Cut For Forbes 400
- 3 Metro-North Still Plans On Moving New Haven Line To Penn Station
- 4 Wilton Mom Slams Into Utility Pole With Kids In SUV, Faces DUI Charge
- 5 Malloy's Sandy Hook Advisory Panel Calls For Homeschooling Oversight