WILTON, Conn. -- Stephen Holmquist of the Wilton Y Wahoo Swim Team participated in the 2014 Speedo Junior National Championships held at the William Wollett, Jr. Aquatics Center in Irvine, Calif.
The meet featured the nation's top up-and-coming swimmers ages 18 and under.
Holmquist had a great week, starting with the 1500 freestyle where he dropped more than 25 seconds and was on the podium with a sixth place finish. His time of 15:41.41 broke the Connecticut resident and team record. It was also eight seconds under the National standard time and 11 seconds under the 2012 Olympic trials time.
He achieved another national cut in the 400 individual medley by dropping over four seconds with a time of 4.27.35, where he came in 20th. He also made it back to finals in the 400 free by dropping almost four seconds and breaking the 4 minute mark with a time of 3:59.21 and took 20th place.
He had a best time in the 200 IM with a time of 2:08.70 and finished the meet swimming the 800 freestyle and dropped more than six seconds with a time of 8:17.21 to finish in 18th place.
These times have qualified him to swim in the Winter and Summer Senior National meets for next year.
- 1 Wilton Voters Narrowly Approve $50M Project For Miller-Driscoll School
- 2 9 Billionaires In Connecticut Make The Cut For Forbes 400
- 3 Metro-North Still Plans On Moving New Haven Line To Penn Station
- 4 Wilton Mom Slams Into Utility Pole With Kids In SUV, Faces DUI Charge
- 5 Malloy's Sandy Hook Advisory Panel Calls For Homeschooling Oversight